Home Birth Advocacy

My Unassisted Home Birth Dream

11 Comments 17 May 2011

The dream began as I opened my eyes.

I was squatting beside my bed, lightly hanging on to the side of the bed frame.

My chin had been tucked into my chest. Taking a deep breath, I looked up and became aware of the beautiful afternoon sunlight filling the room.

It took me a moment to realize what was happening. And then it struck me – I was about to have my baby.

But there was no pain. How did I know I was in labor, I wondered.

Reaching down and pushing slightly, I felt my baby’s head crowning.

It was time.

Eric and Ella were playing in the bathtub down the hallway. I called them.

“Honey? Ella? Come in the bedroom now. The baby is coming!”

I heard their excited voices, just above a whisper. Heard the soft patter of their bare feet running on the wood floors.

I knew what would happen next even though I woke up before it did…

In one continuous movement, the baby would be born and in my hands. I would scoop my baby up and place him/her on the bed.

(No, I didn’t get to see the gender! Shucks!)

I would continue squatting beside the bed, using the side of the bed frame for support. The baby would gently slide out of my body and I would reach down at the exact moment to hold beneath the arms, cupped under baby’s armpits.

I wish I would have gotten the chance to see that happen.

But I woke up, in the same bedroom where the dream had just occurred, to my little Ella Rose asking to nurse.

I woke up in complete awe.

You  see, I’m not a proponent of unassisted birth – not for me anyway. I have never considered unassisted birth before, and even though I know it was only the three of us in our dream, I keep double checking the memory. Am I sure my midwife wasn’t downstairs?

I know she wasn’t.

And in the dream, I was absolutely fine with that.

There was no fear, no pain, no double-checking or guessing. It was the most natural, beautiful and peaceful dream  I’ve ever had.

I must admit, my thoughts of unassisted birth have changed in the way that after “experiencing” it, I understand the desire a woman has to birth completely alone.

The dream hasn’t inspired me to give birth unassisted. My midwife will be there. So will my doula. But when the time comes for my baby to arrive, I just might ask them to wait downstairs.

Did you give birth at home unassisted? What lead you to the decision? Please share your comments below!

1. Ana says:

Beautifully written! What an amazing dream to have! I didn’t give birth unassisted and if we have more children my midwife will still be there. With my second baby though, my husband caught her with the help of our midwife. If we have a third, I’d like to do it this time! =)

2. Tammie says:

My first homebirth was with my midwife on the phone. She commercial fishes & had an opener; my husband and I told her to go…whatever happened we could manage! Unfortunately…when labor started I was very stressed; no midwife, no doctor in town, my first homebirth.
    Had I just calmed down… perhaps I could’ve embrassed birth my daughter with no stress!!
    My midwife, on her cell phone, walked us through the birth of our 5th child; an 11 pound 1oz baby girl we named Roane Elspeth!
    So, not officially Unnassisted…but close!

Today, I’ve successfully homebirthed two more babies with the same midwife. (4 hospital/3 homebirths). With the last baby being born in perfectly warm water ~the most perfect birth I could’ve asked for! If we were blessed once again… I may, also, ask her to wait in the living room… or at least allow me to catch on my own!

3. Christie says:

Oh, this is how birth should be. This is the kind of birth I want. I’m trying to educate myself as much as possible. I still don’t know if I could ever follow my heart on this one without my head getting in the way…and my husband will take some convincing. I wish the universe would grant me a dream like this. Maybe I would feel more sure.

4. Joyanna says:

Beautiful

5. Liz says:

I didn’t have an unassisted home birth, I had two midwifes and a doula, but I also had a very vivid dream about my baby’s birth before she was born. I held onto that image through my fear and anticipation in the last few weeks before I went into labor.
    The details of the dream are a bit hazy, but I held my baby as she was born, right under the armpits and I suddenly had a very real physical connection to the little person who was inside me. For days I felt like I had really held her!
    That dream connected me to the reality of what was about to happen and prepared me for it in a strange way. The mind and body are mysterious and really will guide you through if you pay attention to what they are trying to tell you!!

6. CB says:

What a beautiful dream… I can totally feel that happening with me… provided everything goes well. Blessings to you.

7. KHPhotos says:

The whole time I read this I was so peaceful. :) I had a dream like this myself after my daughter was born. Very NOT pregnant at the time…I experienced it all the way to the end. It was really something else. I remember laughing the entire time I was in labor (which wasn’t very long) and then being totally surprised to find out it was a boy. LOL! I woke up in complete happiness and peace. And it too was just so odd after having a hospital birth with my little girl…
    Thanks for sharing! :)

8. paxye says:

What a beautiful dream…

I have had two unassisted births…One was easier and one was a lot harder… but now, looking back, I would not have changed a thing.

I was led to birth unassisted because my first two births led me to understand that I need to be alone to give birth and that having the intervention of someone just being present can be enough to hinder labour and can their actions can cause problems that otherwise would not have been there.

Hope you don’t mind if I share the following links that further answer you questions…

I wrote about my Unassisted births here:

I wrote a reflection on my first Unassisted birth here:

and the two births that led me to my path:

9. Rachel says:

I love those kinds of dreams…that feeling of peace. I think I feel like you. I actually really like having people around to support me…but I can understand people’s desires to UC. I remember how much I loved having my midwife around at one of my birth’s though, and to me I felt peaceful there. Still, I really loved that dream you had:)

10. Javana says:

I had a dream like this while pregnant too, completely alone with no pain, baby born in sac and i had to break it open to get baby out, a wonderful peaceful dream. My birth however was not like this but I still have warm fuzzies thinking of this dream!

11. Amanda says:

My second child was born at home with only my husband and toddler present. It was definitely NOT planned to be so but was precipitous so I really didn’t have a choice. I was awoken by my water breaking around 4:45am- ish (THAT was shocking!) and by 6am I was nursing my baby boy. My husband caught him. Thank goodness it wasn’t an hour later or he would have been gone to work!
    Even though the birth didn’t go according to ‘ plan’ (plan being, at the birth center) it was wonderful and I’m glad we were able to have the experience.