provided by Friends of Michigan Midwives
1. Make legal the practice of Certified Professional Midwives (CPM)
2. Increase access for consumers to CPMs and safe out-of-hospital births.
3. Make possible Medicaid and insurance coverage for care with a CPM.
4. Create a sustainable, viable career in direct entry midwifery for future generations of midwives.
5. Encourage better, (thus, safer!) hospital collaborations and transfers, when the need arises.
6. Provide a grievance and accountability mechanism for midwives that is not criminal courts only.
7. Protect consumers and midwives from criminal charges for participating in out-of-hospital births.
8. Use the CPM credential, created by midwives, for midwives, and for out-of-hospital birth, as the standard of competency.
9. Provide qualification standards for midwives, helping consumers to determine midwives’ education and experience.
10. Join the trend of more than half the US states who license direct entry midwives and reap it’s benefits.