The birth & postpartum doulas of Birth Kalamazoo supplied this great list for all who attended today’s Birth Matters meeting. I just had to share! Thank you Birth Kalamazoo for all you for the beautiful community of women in Kalamazoo, MI.
What New Mothers Need
(in no particular order)
- Meals: preparing them for her and organizing others to do so.
- Housework: dishes, sweeping and mopping, toilets & shower – ask her!
- Your ear: a safe, nonjudgmental space to share her emotions and, if needed, process her birth.
- Community: moms groups, mommy-baby activities & friendships.
- Entertainment for older siblings: play with them, bath them, read to them, take them to & from school.
- Self-care: permission t o take care of herself with baths or naps, the time to do so, and the space to ask f or help when she needs it.
- Visitors: figure out what she needs and respect her boundaries about how long to stay.
- Breastfeeding support: from her partner, family & friends, doula, lactation consultant and encouragement that, by and large, the human breast still works!
- Space to mourn her old life: if she needs to do so, say goodbye to her old life and embrace her new and beautiful, but often intense, world.
- Courage to follow her heart: she doesn’t necessarily have to do what her best friend/mom/grandma/doctor suggests…embrace the new world of making informed decisions that feel right in her own heart!
- Support for her partner too! Postpartum depression for dads is very real. He may need time, space and someone to care for him so he can stay strong and helpful to her.
- ASK HER: every woman, every baby, every postpartum experience is unique and women’s needs vary…offer suggestions, ask how you can help and be ready to respond!