This is going to be a brief post, but an important one. A must read for all pregnant mamas, or those trying to conceive.
I talked in further depth about this topic in an earlier blog post, Maximize Nourishment & Minimize Toxicity for a Healthy Pregnancy. The basic premise is the concept of how our feelings and thoughts about the world around us impacts our molecular structure.
It ages us. Literally. Endorphines however, do just the opposite, thus helping us live longer, healthier lives.
All of this is important to pregnant women because the effect of emotions, (the blood in our bodies changes by the release of stress hormones and endorphines) is shared through the umbilical cord.
Of course, it’s impossible to never get stressed out or angry.
Here are a few steps we can take to improve our environment:
- Limit your exposure to violence in movies, watching particularly bad news and protect yourself from nasty name-calling, door-slamming arguments
- Enjoy a walk in nature. Take the time to observe your surroundings and ponder the beauty all around you
- Keep a gratitude journal – write down at least one thing you are grateful for each day
- Practice yoga and/or meditation. The benefits are endless for mind, body and spirit
- Be present with the baby growing inside you. Talk to your baby. Envision him or her cozy inside your body.
- Keep a journal. Allow yourself to feel everything you go through, but by the end of your writing session, try to find a calmer place than where you began
- Create pregnancy/birth art and celebrate the life inside growing inside of you
- Talk to other pregnant women or mothers about any questions or concerns you might have about your pregnancy, birth or caring for a newborn
These are just a few of my ideas. What did you do to be mindful of having a positive attitude through pregnancy?